Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Farewell Bill

The ranks of 59 year-olds on this planet was reduced by one yesterday. We lost Bill Chmiel, a classmate of mine from Carroll High School’s illustrious class of 1968. Dreaded cancer took him.


I must admit, I did not know Bill well back in the day. Whatever classes and other stuff I was involved in weren’t the same things he was up to. I did email him a bit since January, most of the time while he was shuttling between his home on Block Island, Rhode Island and hospitals in Boston getting his diagnosis and beginning to take treatment. He seemed up to beating this thing, and like a lot of his friends, I hoped the medical profession had one more miracle in its bag of tricks to make him whole again. Everybody tried really hard, of that I’m sure.


CHS ’68 had our 40th reunion last summer. I think Bill was there. Again, I didn’t know enough to seek him out. I think the deal was that it was after the reunion that he was diagnosed. In January he mentioned it had been a tough six months for him and his wife, Terri. So it was a pretty steep decline Bill and his family had to deal with.


As we babyboomers live into our 60s, the inevitability of death comes ever closer. That’s okay, I guess. Life is what it is. Death will come for all of us. It’s just that we’re on the cusp of being invulnerable and well, being way too vulnerable. I will hug my grandson, who is here today, and my wife a bit tighter this day. Life is good. I don’t look forward to dealing with death any time soon. Still way too much to do.


Farewell, my friend. I hope it was a lovely ride.


Today’s elder idea: Thanks for channeling some of that positive energy my way. It has been a very challenging six months for my wife and myself. We value and appreciate all your prayers.

Bill Chmiel

3 January 2009 email


And on this rainy day in the Miami Valley:


Water spirit feeling springin’ round my head

Makes me feel glad that I’m not dead.


Witchi Tai To

Traditional healing song in the Native American Church

No comments:

Post a Comment