Monday, August 24, 2009

Loyalty

When I committed to writing this blog a few months ago, I promptly made a list of topics I could write about. I think the list went on for at least two pages. To be honest, I’m not even sure where the list is right now. So far, I’ve sorted through my week’s experiences waiting for one to pop up that had writing potential. And that’s what I’ve done so far. The list still waits.


Yesterday Cindy & I were talking about what her next car might be. She said she saw one recently she really liked, but didn’t get a make and model. She’ll be on the lookout. But that got me to thinking about my always buying new Fords. Why is that? Are Fords the best? In some cases, yes. I think we own two of them: her Taurus and my 4 cylinder Escape.


But, best? Surely not always. Just today, with only 65,000 miles on my little SUV, I felt what appears to be the clutch slipping while engaging first gear. I’m still under warranty, so no big deal, I guess. But a hydraulic clutch going out under 100,000 miles? Under 75,000? Surely Ford can do better.


I am loyal and that’s how I buy camera equipment, computers, cars, and groceries. I don’t feel it so much for my high school any more, though I still have good memories. It’s just that I don’t care too much if they win or lose in the gym, on the diamond, or on the pitch these days. I wish ‘em luck, but it doesn’t quite make my day like the Reds. Shoot, I’m only mildly interested in the successes of Wayne High School, the place I taught and loved kids for a career.


This blog really is about loyalty to stuff. To brands. Stuff you want to trust. Stuff you want to be, if not the best, at least dependable and, well, good. Reliable. Resilient to use. Near unbreakable. Stylish. Cool, even.


Nikon: My first one turned out to be an old manual 35mm FM. Great camera. Ended up with a macro lens that let me get so close to an object I could almost taste it. Lovely.


The first digital, a Nikon Coolpix 5000, came as a retirement gift from Cindy & friends. Again, amazing images using less than the 5 megapixel max. I’m not disappointed with what that little camera can still do. I’m now using a D50 SLR with the standard 18-55mm zoom. Good camera, but to be honest, way too much stuff on it. I’m still not comfortable running the thing manually. I always program. I’m not completely happy about that.


Apple Macintosh: In 1985 when I finished my masters, I treated myself by buying a brand new typewriter. Personal computers were new on the market, but besides scaring me to death, I hoped they would just go away. Not long after that my daughters’ mother & I decided a computer for the kids would be a good idea. I didn’t think I’d use it much, but you know: for the kids. It was an Apple IIc. I still have the monitor box in the closet next door. It’s currently housing old reel-to-reel tapes. Tells you how far we've come, doesn’t it? Within a month I loved the green monochrome Apple.


I’ve gone through a few Macs since then. Currently I’m relying on the iMac Intel 2 GHz Core 2 Duo processor for almost all of what I do. I’m still a desktop guy, though I do have a MacBook 1.83 GHz Intel with a recently maxxed out hard drive. I love my Macs and OS X. I just pre-ordered Snow Leopard (10.6) an hour ago. It ships this Friday. Brand new operating system. It’s going to be fun.


And I like to shop at Kroger’s, too. I like to buy Private Selection, their store premium brand, when I can. They are about as local a national chain as they come -- and my brother works for corporate in Cincinnati. And yes, I know Kroger’s muscled out plenty of local mom & pop neighborhood grocer/proprietors over decades to get their sizable niche in this market. But they are pretty much local, and well, there’s always family. I don't shop at WalMart.


I’m not too big on comparison shopping either. I listen for those brands that have reliable reputations, like Toyota. I’ve never shopped one, but maybe I should.


I mean, how important is loyalty re: stuff? It’s not a marriage, after all, even if it does feel kind of like a commitment.


Today’s elder idea: I find expression in Nikon, Mac, and Ford. It’s personal.

No comments:

Post a Comment