Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Health care & 60


I’m one of those guys who has been playing disc jockey over the years by creating his own music mixes. In the beginning, it was on reel to reel tape. Then it went to cassettes that I could play in the car. I still have a bunch of both stored in closets, but I rarely play them. With the advent of CD recording, both tape recorders have been relegated to dark places in the basement. iTunes has surely made the practice much easier.


Most of these collections have a theme, like Western highway, Earth magic, Beautiful, and pisces & aries. Finding ‘theming’ music too much of a reach at times, about five years ago I began the practice of assembling a collection of songs to be completed twice a year, one about the time of my birthday at the beginning of spring, the other six months later. What to include? Well, whatever I find interesting in the moment. Some new, some classic, some just fun. It’s become a bit of a passion of mine. And for titling, I just number ‘em.


I mention this today because last fall when I finished my 59.5 collection, I included an oldie grandson Noah found somehow, maybe on Guitar Hero. It was ‘He Ain’t Heavy, He’s My Brother,’ the 1969 classic from The Hollies. On the liner notes, I dedicated its inclusion to ‘the new health care bill that should help make more Americans healthier.’ I signed off on the dedication with the Fiddler’s Le chaim! I assumed passage of the bill was imminent last fall.


And here we are on March 23, my 60th birthday, with President Obama signing America’s Affordable Health Choices Act of 2009. Finally.


It would seem lots of folks aren’t happy about it. Even in an unscientific MSNBC internet poll I looked at showed 65% against. I was part of the 27% in favor. Still, as I listened to progressive pundits debate content and comment on the furor the bill has caused, I distinctly remember hearing them say that the majority of Americans were in favor of it. Where did they all go?


I must admit that in the process of listening to the ugliness re: the health care bill, I lost interest in personally participating in government. I’ve never been very involved anyway, but I do watch the news, read the paper daily, and walk the neighborhood during presidential elections passing out literature for the Democrats. I came to the conclusion recently that if duly elected government officials can’t decide on what’s best for their constituents, to hell with the process.


What in heaven’s name is wrong with reforming health care? Insurance companies are making big money with our premiums and seem to feel free to drop coverage on folks who need it most because they file claims when they are sick. It seems to me that one doesn’t need to be a rocket science major to see that something had to change.


Still, there they were: every -- and I mean EVERY -- Republican opposing changes. Even after Nancy Polosi, Harry Reid, and friends included ideas brought to the health care table over the years by Republicans, like end-of-life counseling, nada. Some in the GOP even called such counseling ‘death panels’ that will doom grandma, trying to scare the pants off of us. Now that the the bill is law, some in the GOP are talking repeal.


First, I just don’t get it. War is okay, I suppose, but not help for Americans. I love my Republican brother, but I have concluded that he, like many of his GOP brethren, hate to see anybody get anything they didn’t earn. Get a job, dammit. Second, I am disgusted with the hate and fear that has boiled out of this debate. I mean, for pete’s sake, we’re trying to help America be a healthier place.


I know money is an issue. Still, some stuff just costs money. And to me, some stuff is just worth it. Streets. Clean water. Bank regulations. National security. Civil rights. Health care. They all seem targets for the role of a government by the people and for the people.


I had this thought yesterday: Name me three well-heard conservative radio hosts. Shouldn’t be a problem. Now name me three well-heard progressive radio types. Can’t do it, can you?


Expanding it to television, one could name three progressives. But there’s always the ubiquitous Rupert Murdoch and Fox News, Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, and Glenn Beck -- all with huge media reach. I wonder how much of their fear and vitriol spewed on the air waves has brought many Americans to fear any kind of health care reform. And how much of the nonsense was funded by health insurance lobbyists?


As Rachel Maddow said Monday night, which parts of the bill do the repealers now want to strip away? Continue to exclude newborns with asthma because of a pre-existing condition? Going back to dropping coverage for people with a recurrence of cancer because they have exceeded limits? Have seniors decide if they can eat this week or buy their meds?


I don’t get it. We live in a democracy where we work for the aim of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. For all. Health care seems to be a step in that direction. All I can thank today are Democrats who did their best to make it work.


***

PS: March 23, in fact, does make me 60 this year. And this blog entry, oddly enough, is Back Porch blog #60. Having the President sign the bill this very day makes me damn proud. Gotta' love the syzygy!


PS2: Care to hear any of the music collections? Let me know.


Today’s elder idea: ‘A big f---ing deal.’ Indeed.

Vice president Joe Biden.

No comments:

Post a Comment