Monday, May 31, 2010

The Back Porch @ 1

It was one year ago this Memorial Day weekend that I started the business of writing weekly here on The Back Porch. It’s been meaningful for me, keeping my mind thinking about engaging topics to formulate and share with you, dear reader. Thanks for stopping by and giving me a listen.


One year ago the topic was ‘Memorial Day thoughts from an anti-war guy.’ Indeed, I still have a Peace sticker proudly displayed on the back window of my car. In fact, I have a replacement or two in my sock drawer awaiting cars I will buy years hence. Peace should be the international mantra for the world in which we live, in my view. Let’s talk things over and figure out a way where most, if not all in the world, can have their needs met. Sounds like a basic human right, if you ask me.


Still, there are bad guys and evil in the world, too. They would rather see their enemies suffer and die, depriving them of their right to life and family. Hitler fits into that category. I know Germany wanted to become more of an international player in commerce and governance following their punishment after World War I, but rounding up the inferior, working them in labor camps, then exterminating them by the millions was just plain evil. Thanks to my parents’ Greatest Generation for putting a stop to it.


As much as I hate to admit it, sometimes war is necessary. Thanks to all those men and women who put their lives on hold and their bodies in grave danger to make the world a safer place. We are in your debt.


*****

Earlier this month spring elections were held across the country. In Kentucky, Rand Paul won the GOP primary. Within 24 hours of his victory, the proverbial shit hit the fan following his day-after interviews with NPR and Rachel Maddow.


As a libertarian, Paul believes in a small, non-meddling national government. He believes in the power of business owners to do what they want. Obama was acting badly for criticizing BP in the wake of the Gulf oil spill. Accidents happen, after all. And the Civil Rights Act of 1964? Good idea in many ways. Though Paul abhors racial injustice, he draws the line at government forcing businesses into compliance. The market will sort out the riff-raff. He is a pro-lifer, too. Libertarians hold that women should not have the option to end a life by terminating a pregnancy. Roe v Wade should be struck down.


Soon after, some pundit observed that following Reconstruction in 1877 and the removal of US troops from the South, businesses and local governments enacted what would be known as Jim Crow laws to keep white folks in power and new freemen in their respective places. It did, indeed, take that 1964 Congressional action -- one hundred years after the Civil War ended -- to assure all Americans the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Seemed the riff-raff ruled.


Since Rand Paul’s libertarian positions were clarified, other political analysts have put forth how steadfast orthodox positions don’t work all that well in the reality of governing. As much as political mechanization feels like an ethical sell-out at times, deal making gets important things done. So while Paul’s ‘consistent libertarian philosophy’ might make many feel that purity in small government is possible, it ain’t necessarily so.


AlterNet (alternet.org) offers the following reader response to Rand Paul this Memorial Day. Darklady writes:


Rand Paul believes that the government should allow all private business owners to deny food, lodging, clothing, employment, etc. to members of whatever groups they don’t like.


He claims that this is because it’s not fair for the government to force private businesses to do things they don’t want to do.


Meanwhile — Rand Paul also believes that the government has a *responsibility* to force private citizens to feed, house, care for and potentially be placed at great personal risk by a fertilized egg, zygote, embryo, etc.


What if the woman could declare herself to be a private business? Could she then abort based on the fact that she doesn’t want to provide services?


I must admit, I’m not into squabbling. Like Rodney King, I’d just like to ask, ‘Can’t we all just get along?’


Maybe in a perfect world. But that’s not the one we’re blessed with. In the meantime, we give and take, trying to live with our personal values and respecting the differences of others. All global citizens deserve good health, the ability to acquire what they need, and a place where they can think and do what they damn well please -- as long as it doesn’t negatively impact their neighbor.


I’ve always been a fan of tolerance. Seems like a peaceful practice in a beautiful but dangerous world.


Today’s elder idea: A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines. With consistency a great soul has simply nothing to do.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 comments:

  1. One elder idea deserves another:

    The past and present wilt—I have fill’d them, emptied them,
    And proceed to fill my next fold of the future.
    ...
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well, then, I contradict myself;
    (I am large—I contain multitudes.)
    ...
    Will you speak before I am gone? Will you prove already too late?

    –Walt Whitman

    ReplyDelete