Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Circle


Well, here we are at the end of another year.  

More than anything else, I suppose, the fact that 2012 leaves me one year older hits me in a way that I don’t recall feeling before.  Lately I’ve written on more than one card or e-mail, ‘Let’s stay healthy in 2013.’  It would seem mortality is a concept I will be dealing with more often in this upcoming year that witnesses my turning 63 in March.  

I am reminded that when my father was about this age, he mentioned something to me about his dying.  Nothing imminent, just the idea that ‘none of us are getting out of here alive.’  My thought at the time was something like, ‘Why is he thinking about death?  He’s only in his 60s!‘  At the time I was in my invincible early 30s.  Having Dad considering his own passing seemed unwisely premature.  I don’t feel that way today. 

Don’t get me wrong:  I’m not near the end of my life.  At least I hope not.  I feel good and as far as my family doctor and dermatologist report, all is well.  

It’s just that for me New Year’s opens up a period of reflection on life and what it means specifically for the body I inhabit, as far as I can figure.  Seems like an appropriate thing to do as the year meter ticks over another digit.  Cindy commented last night to friends that I have brought up more than once how many more years we might have in this house before we downsize.  She likes to say she can only fathom the next 20 minutes, let alone the next 20 years.  Still, as a football aficionado, I recognize that we’re nearing the 4th quarter and being aware of clock management wouldn’t be a bad idea.  

So with that in mind, a Beginning of a New Circle reflection:   

1.  Like most folks, I’m not very good at keeping New Year’s resolutions.  Therefore, I am not going to make any, though I’ll be constantly considering ways to improve my life and the world every chance I get, whenever an idea passes through.  I just hope to be paying attention when the Spirit moves. 

2. 2013 will be a year of travel for us both, but more so for me.  One thing I know is this planet has lots of great stuff to see and appreciate.  If I don’t make plans to get to the cool places I’ve said I’d like to see, then I suspect when the curtain closes, I will have missed once-in-a-lifetime experiences.  Here’s what’s on the docket for this year: 

February:  A week-long solo writing retreat at Lake Hope State Park.  In the past, I’ve driven to Colorado for such an event.  I’ve always wanted to do something like this in Ohio.  Reservation has been made.  

March:  Timeshare with Cindy Lou at Hilton Head.  I’m taking the slow cooker!  ;-) 

June:  Disney World with Kelly and her family.  She got the trip free through her business (Premier Designs jewelry) so we’re going to tag along.  I can’t imagine going back to Disney without having a kid along!  I look forward to spending some time at Kennedy Space Center, too.  

July:  Quick trip to Los Angeles to see Reds vs. Dodgers with my good pal Bruce who lives out there.  I love to provide support for my guys in hostile ballparks!  We had a great time in San Diego a couple years ago. 

August:  Hog Island, Maine for a volunteer week, then a bit more time to hang out and work on my book.  More on The Book below.  

October:  UK for three weeks with Cindy Lou.  We’ll fly into London and spend some time; then off to Sligo, Ireland for a retreat week at Holy Hill hermitage; then a bit more Ireland before going back to the big island for more site seeing.  It is Cindy Lou’s big retirement trip almost ten years late!

I like to write while I travel and I know the places on the itinerary will provide plenty of muse.  I’m already plotting other notable places for upcoming years.  Stay tuned.  

3.  The Book.  Heavens.  I must make good progress on The Dressy Adventuress: Mabel Loomis Todd’s Camp Mavooshen on Audubon’s Hog Island this year.  I’ve danced around this project for years now.  Yes, it still scares the bejeebers out of me, but it’s time.  January through May will be the peak production period.  As the note taped onto my computer monitor reads:  Focus.  I could use whatever prayers and positive energy you could send my way.  

I’ve got a few other things on my 2013 list, like ‘focus on family’ and ‘be mindful,’ but those things are perpetually on my list.  I also wouldn’t mind finding a spiritual director to work with.  I always seem to feel so scattered in the spiritual realm.  Still, something in my gut tells me that’s the way it’s supposed to be.  I’ll do my best to stay focused via zen mindfulness.

Here’s hoping we all find good health in 2013.  All the best to you and yours.  Let’s also hope our elected leaders make some wise decisions that are good for all Americans. 

Thanks, too, for sticking with me on The Back Porch.  I’ll try to make your visits worthwhile in this upcoming year. I should have plenty to write about!  ;-)

Today’s elder idea:   All my life’s a circle / But I can’t tell you why / The seasons spinning ‘round again / The years keep rollin’ by.   

Harry Chapin

image:  From back walk of our place, Wild Grace, looking east, early December 2012.  

No comments:

Post a Comment