Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Home


for Jerry Thaman 

1.
I said good-bye to him on Friday night 
and learned on Sunday afternoon 
he had lost consciousness.  
Such was drug induced but the only 
alternative to intensifying pain. 

I gave him a lucid week or more 
when I grasped his hand that night, 
looked into his eyes, 
and told him I loved him

and that there was much love present
to help in whatever happened next -- 
that lots of people were sending energy
for whatever was needed. 

His grip and his eyes showed something 
that seemed like understanding.

2. 
I walked out into that warm Florida night
and just stood by the rental car in the dark, 
not wanting to get in --
not wanting this next part --
my going away from him for what would inevitably be 
the last time on this plane of existence -- to begin. 

Next time I see him, I thought, 
he’ll be in an urn.  I cringed, 
but knew that it was true.  

I turned around in the palpable darkness, 
facing the porch-lit house 
to consider what was inside: 

a dying fifty year old man
with all three natural brothers at his side, 
or at least in the room.  A sister.  A sister-in-law.  A niece.  
The hospice nurse that everybody likes so much. 
And a wife, exhausted, crashing while the others
hold vigil before her shift, motivated by love, 
begins again. 

3.
I don’t know much about death. 

I understand hospice practitioners refer
to the process of dying as a transition
a gradual easing from the world of the living 
into a place of unconsciousness where the body 
can let go of the life spirit, freeing it from matter
to become part of whatever it is that happens next.  

I only hope that when he began moving in that direction 
it felt at least as good as home. 


Tom Schaefer
23 September 2013
prior & post Jerry’s leaving

No comments:

Post a Comment